Monday, November 19, 2007

I'm very tough.



On Friday, I gave blood! This is a big deal, considering the last time I tried to, I passed out. My friend Cassie was nice enough to come with me and distract me. I was all fine and dandy at first, made it through the medical history and screening without freaking out; the nurse found my vein (not too hard, cause I'm pretty pale) and started. I was good for a few minutes and trying to talk to keep my mind off of the bright red blood coming out of my body. All of a sudden, Cassie was like "Um...you don't look so good. Are you ok?" I answered, "I feel a little lightheaded." No sooner had those words passed my lips and the nurse was at my side, ice pack in hand. In a matter of seconds, her and another nurse had put my feet up higher, put an ice pack on my neck, gotten me a Sprite to sip and started fanning me. I immediately felt better. The second nurse that had come to fan me was a ridiculously funny black man and he talked to me and made me laugh until I was done. Then I got to eat Little Debbie snacks and was ordered to eat at least 2 more hearty meals that day (it was already 2pm). Sorry Weight Watchers. I happily accepted this order.
They gave me an awesome lunchbox and a bright green bandage to show how tough I am.

3 comments:

steve and randel hambrick said...

good job!! what about india?? i thought you couldn't give if you had been to india in the last 5 years...

by the way, did they give you nutter butters?? that's what i remember...

Amy Greene said...

India wasn't on the list of places they didn't allow. I asked the red cross man and he said it was OK bc it wasn't between 1970 and 1986. Maybe the rules changed?
I didn't get any nutter-butters, but some yummy oatmeal cream pies :)

Becka Robinson said...

You are much braver than I, I am TERRIFIED of needles. And I hate that the volunteers at the blood buses don't understand that. I yell "you're all vampires" at the ones that harass me about giving blood as I pass by. Sometimes, when I'm in a better mood I just tell them that my AIDS is flairing up and they get so uncomfortable that I smile and keep walking. :)
But I'm really impressed by your strength, and your tatoo...love it!