Thursday, January 3, 2008

For now

I'm going to do a more thorough update soon, but for now I want to write about something from today. Let me preface by saying that I don't ever, ever, EVER take horoscopes seriously; sometimes I like to read them for kicks, though. Today, while perusing Durham's local arts/music/culture newspaper, the Pisces horoscope started with this William Blake quote: "I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's." The horoscope writer went on to say that this meant that we should have a disciplined approach to living the life we want to live, so that we avoid being controlled by the world's or another person's life plan. While the horoscope prescribed a more self-directed, you-against-the-world outlook, I think there's much for the Christian to gain from the Blake quote and the horoscope writer's train of thought. No, we shouldn't aim to create a system, but if we fail to participate, live, and enter in to life with Christ and in the body, we will surely be enslaved by another system.

Sometimes God finds my eye when I least expect it.

No comments: